Become a Cadet

We are always looking for new recruits! 


To join army cadets, applicants must meet the following criteria:
  • Must be a legal resident of Canada;
  • Provide proof of provincial/territorial health insurance of equivalent;
  • Be at least 12 years of age;
  • Be less than 19 years of age;
  • Normally be in good physical condition;
  • Not belong to any other Cadet corps or squadron;
  • Be interested in the Cadet Program;
  • Have Parent/Guardian permission; and
  • Be acceptable to the Commanding Officer of the corps.

Further information can be found at on the official Cadets Canada website:


Our Cadet Corps hosts recruiting nights in September and again in January. If you are shy and want to join with the greatest number of youth, September and January are your best months to join as there will be other youth equally as shy and new.

Saying that, you may join at anytime during the cadet training year (September to June), however, if you are interested in attending summer camp or want to progress to the next proficiency level/star/phase the following year – you will need to have joined NO LATER THAN December 31.

Now that you are ready to join Army Cadets, you will need to go and visit our Corps to join. Upon joining you will need to bring a few things with you which include:

  1. a photocopy of the birth certificate or equivalent; and
  2. a photocopy of the health insurance card (where available).

You will also need to complete and sign the application forms below and bring them with you when you come in. These completed forms, along with the photocopies of your health insurance card and birth certificate start your Cadet Personnel Record. Your Cadet Personnel Record is stored safely and securely at the Cadet Corps. There is no need to send forms or documentation anywhere!

Access to Cadet Personnel Records are restricted to those individuals authorized in writing by the Commanding Officer (CO) of the cadet Corps pursuant to the provisions of the Privacy Act and the Access to Information Act.

Cadets/parents/legal guardians shall have access to the cadet’s file by asking the CO or the Administration Officer of the Cadet Corps.

Cadet Personnel Records are kept until the date at which the cadet reaches the age of twenty-five. The files may only be destroyed at that time in accordance with the Defence Administrative Orders and Directives (DAOD) on the Management of Recorded Information and the Treasury Board Policy on the Management of Government Information.

When you leave or age-out of Cadets, make sure to ask for a copy of your Cadet Personnel Record. You never know if you will need it in the future and it makes for a great keepsake!

Now that you have completed all the necessary forms, have the proper documentation and have been accepted for membership – welcome to the Cadet Program!

Experiences that you cannot get anywhere else are about to begin! Experience the journey!


Our corps typically meets on Wednesday evenings during the school year at our Local Headquarters (LHQ), which is located in the basement of the Legion in Fort St. John. Although we are usually at the Legion, we do occasionally have events away from our LHQ, so it is best to check our "Event Information" page in the Cadet Resources tab to know where to meet us. New Cadets can arrive at any time between 7:00pm and 9:00pm during our Regular Training Nights with their application package to sign up.  Once their completed application forms are received, they can begin their cadet adventure and attend our scheduled events and training nights. 

If you are interested in our program, but just are not sure if you want to commit just yet, you are welcome to come our and see our Cadets in action and speak with our staff during a Regular Training Night.  Any of our staff will gladly give you a tour of our facility and provide any additional information you may want before signing up. 


Proof of age: (only 1 of the below listed documents is required)

  • a valid Canadian passport;
  • a birth certificate issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal government agency;
  • any card, visa or permit (work, study, resident, etc.) (with photo) issued by the Canadian government which legally authorizes the person to reside in Canada for an extended period of time;
  • any identification card (with or without photo) issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal government agency. No certificates of live birth please.

Proof of health insurance: (only 1 of the below listed documents is required)

  • Provincial or Territorial health insurance card; or 
  • private insurance (e.g. Blue Cross) card.

Application Forms: